Sunday, October 10, 2010

The Last Airbender (2010)

I've never watched the animated series, so I wasn't immediately critical of this live-action adaptation. The fact that M. Night Shymalan directed it sparked my interest. I knew it would either be brilliant, or fail miserable. Unfortunately, it was the latter.

The first thing that really struck me odd, and distracted me from everything else, was the pronunciations. It became very annoying to hear the word "Avatar" pronounced "Awvatar", and "Aang" pronounced "Awwwng". My ignorance of the show was not this bad. I at least knew how to pronounce his name. It's as if Shymalan never watched the show himself, which is irresponsible when dealing with an established property, with an existing fanbase.

The lack of respect for the animated series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" is so apparent, that my daughter sat with a notepad and listed all the blatant blunders. At last count she had 35 errors.

With a movie this bad, you'd at least think that the acting would try to compensate. Not here. The only performance that was tolerable was by Jackson Rathbone (Sokka). The worst was from Nicola Peltz (Katara). I had to look her up on IMDB. This is only her 3rd acting credit, and it's pretty obvious. I actually felt bad for her. The 2nd worst was none other than the lead, Noah Ringer (Aang). It was his first acting gig. 

I guess M. Night decided to spend the money on the special effects (which were really cool), instead of acting talent. All in all, this is a turd of a movie. Watch at your own risk.

Rated PG, Runtime 103mns

No comments:

Post a Comment