Sunday, October 10, 2010

Splice (2009)

I'm a huge fan of Adrien Brody. He was so brilliant in The Pianist, that I have a hard time passing up an Adrien Brody film. I'm also a fan of the Sci-Fi genre. Sci-Fi, with elements of Horror mixed in (see Predators), can make for a fun movie. Splice has many of those elements, with the added weight of DNA splicing, just to make sure there's not too much fun.


The story centers around two brilliant genetic engineers,Clive (Brody) and Elsa (Sarah Polley), who have successfully created hybrid animals, for a pharmaceutical company. The goal being to further science and medicine. After realizing they will never get the results they need using only animals, they secretly introduce human DNA into the mix. The result is Dren.


As you can see from the movie poster to the left, Dren is a little different.


It's very familiar territory. It makes you question the future of science, all while showing you disturbing images of what could happen. Splice also tackles the logistics of the interspecies "hook up", in what is a very unsettling scene. It's during this scene, that I began to question my admiration of Adrien Brody's work. If anything, I appreciate his bravery in actually doing the scene. Not many would.


While I wasn't overly impressed with Splice, I didn't hate it. It's worth a $1 rental from RedBox.


Rated R, Runtime 104mns

No comments:

Post a Comment